20 July 2008

I Am Still Here

It has been awhile since my last post. Personal chaos getting in the way that I do not want to discuss. Moving on...

So, I set up all the racks I have and realized I am several short if I want to divide my clothing properly by size and gender. I guess I'll make a trip to Target to get some basic inexpensive racks and bins so I can at least get started. I NEED to open. Nothing used on craigslist is showing up and I have waited as long as I can so I'll just buy the basic stuff and eventually when I am on my feet get matching racks and such and sell whatever extras I have.

Smile.

One of my best friends took over the cash register duty since the hundred page manual was overwhelming me on top of everything else. She taught me how to do pretty much all the basics except for discounts and void transactions so I just have to learn that and it is ready to go. My credit/debit card training is on Tuesday so hopefully after that I can ring people up. And alas, I always have a trusty calculator nearby in case of an emergency ;)

I have over 150 items tagged and hung on racks according to size- but still need to be priced. I hit 500 items on my inventory sheet. And I have about another hundred to still inventory here at home.

With the fictitious business name, I need to file an ad in an approved paper. I also need one more license which I have thirty days from opening to file- but I would like to do this week.

I am working whenever I can to do pricing of brands so I can finish my price list and fill out the tags. That is taking so much longer than expected but I have to make sure I do it right!

Some of the stay-at-home moms that are supposed to be making stuff for me are MIA. I emailed them all Friday and am still waiting for a response. I have an area all ready for their stuff so I hope they pull through. If not, well something else will come through right?

The kids play area is basically ready. A clean rug. A sink. Changing Table and Diaper Champ. Rocker. Chairs. Toys. Butterflies hanging from the ceiling. Totally adorable and comfortable and I hope Moms love it as much as I do. I have my microwave, coffee pot and toaster but they still need a table and set up and they can also be used by customers if they want.

I have a great section of new stuff. And all my resale stuff is high-end, great condition as hoped. I ended up throwing in a few things that are not high-end but had that boutique look and a few things with a small flaw that were boutique brands so I am figuring out how to separate them out and price them on their own. One- being open minded but keeping my desire to have a boutique not just a store and Two- sometimes when are kids grow we don't mind a Gymboree shirt with a pen dot stain on it for play! Why pay full price for something they are going to make spaghetti in right? So that's my justification.

One of my best friends took some pictures and if any came out good I'll post them on the site!

I hope to have my "soft" opening at the latest a week from Tuesday and then the Grand Opening Week will follow 2-4 weeks later when everything is complete. But until then, I am pretty much there all the time during opening hours so feel free to come by, call or email.

I got ITunes loaded into the laptop for some music- now I just need my WiFi to pick up a connection so I can look up brands and prices when business is slow. I intend to find out how to find inexpensive and free advertising. I am getting my printer (hopefully) fixed tomorrow so I can start again on fliers to whomever and wherever!

Thank you to everyone passing the word along. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I want to make some great sales and store credit buys so I can invest in some more new merchandise to sell a little below retail so everyone wins.

That is my Sunday Night Update. Hope all is well out there!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck N - let me know when we can come shopping! Kent leaves Aug 18th.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This is so cool what you are doing. I recently decided to open a boutique and am planning for it all now. Since you have been there and done that, I was wondering if you could lend me some advise on how to cut costs and budget. My email is pedwards123@hotmail.com. Thanks so much! And best of Luck!